Sunday, January 13, 2013

Stepping Backwards...into Christmas!


What is on my mind today? Christmas…what else?  I’m sitting here writing for the first time in a REALLY long time…Ella got her  journal out because I was introducing journal time to Keegan…with all the writing going on I thought why not join them?
                As Mark pulled down all our indoor decorations this year my thoughts went to where they always go.  I HATE getting started!  Where do I start? I always start on the tree…but I don’t really like that either.  I’m too short to get near the top without a bar stool so I have to lug them over to the tree.  Those fake branches scratch my super dry skin and leave me itching, then I have to vacuum after we are done because it leaves such a mess!  I thank God every year that we have a pre-lit tree cause stringing lights was always something to seriously fight about! 
                Then there’s the question of do I let the kids help or not…I’m pretty precise on how I like MY tree (we do have a kids’ tree upstairs that only the kids decorate so I don’t feel bad calling it MY tree). 
After the panic of how to start went away - which I think is a defense my body puts off to protect my heart from the sadness of missing my Nana & Mamaw, both whom loved this holiday more than life and who would always have their houses decorated to the 9’s & 10’s and after deciding it would be more fun for my kids if they got to ‘hand’ me the ornaments, I started “feeling” again.  I mean how could I help it…the Christmas music Mark turned on just took over! 
                I love that music can do that in almost any situation in my life.  Sunday mornings are a huge music calming morning for me as we try to get out the door for church!!   But back to Christmas, to this day I can say it still is my most favorite time of year.  I really do love and get into the decorating after I get started.  The feelings I have now are different when it comes to this time of year only because I was very close to both of my grandmothers. 
                There’s the feeling of excitement almost giddy for my children, even though the stress of trying to make each Christmas as exciting or a little more exciting from the ones before gets more complicated…trying to buy gifts for 4 children when you have NO Christmas money this year was a super duper tough one, but again, God provided Mark with just enough extra work just in time to provide just enough!  There’s a surprise! 
                The feelings of looking ahead and planning as many extra fun events as we can to make as many memories as we can; Christmas @ the Zoo, Movie nights, Beef’N Boards Christmas Spectacular, Taste of Christmas (with my neighbors), Anniversary date of some kind for Mark and I, mailing our Santa letters at the circle, and much more.  This year we've printed out “golden” tickets…one night after watching The Polar Express we plan to hide these tickets under the kids’ pillows.  Once they get into bed and find them they will then enter the ‘Minivan Christmas Express’ and we will drive around looking at lights drinking hot chocolate, listening and singing to Christmas music!!  I can’t wait. 
                But there’s also deeper feelings I can’t ignore as we come to this time.  Feelings of loss and sadness yet they are quickly followed by hope and the reason I need Jesus and eternity.  Going back to my tree as I picked up each ornament and placed it thoughtfully on a branch I remember and am taken back to the place I was at when they became part of our lives.  As I hang up our gaudy gold and purple ornaments I’m taken back to our very first 1-bedroom apartment.  Just barely two weeks after our wedding decorating our very first tree together.  I love those silly old ornaments! 
Then onto the glittery ones I stayed up all night to grab at the Black Friday sale at Kmart a few years later when we had a little extra money to spend on decorations!  I didn't have to fight for them but I was SOOOO proud of the price I got them for!  I’m proud of those ornaments that glisten so beautifully in the tree lights. 
Then I move to the Santa’s I have only 3 I also had a Mary, Joseph, & baby Jesus set  these were a shower gift from my Mamaw.  It’s funny cause when I got them I thought wow…how silly…but over the years grew to love them and last year as I pulled out my manger set and noticed they had been shattered I was devastated!  This year I teared up when I pulled out my last 3 Santa’s not cause they were silly or because I didn't have the manger set any more.  No, it was mostly because I was feeling farther and farther away from my Mamaw.  It’s been 3 years now, and it still hurts me to miss her and think of her.  I hung those up and quickly moved on. 
                Next up I placed the ribbon around the tree then the little bows that Ella and I had to fluff before putting up followed by the huge stupid bow that I made for the top…I hate it cause it looks silly! But these simple ribbons I bought about 3 years ago, 95% off at Wal-mart…you know the left over rejected ribbon, but to me they would change the entire look of my tree which was a major need in our world because we had just started our unemployment/forced self employment.  I packed them up after I bought them, without even getting to use them that year but I knew that next Christmas I’d at least have a few new shiny things to put around my tree…something fresh and new just excited me.  When I look at them I am taken back to that year Mark lost his job then worked his tail off for the next year and a half.  We had no money but I took $5 to shop for something new to lift our spirits because we felt cold as if we were stuck in the dark and would be for a long time.  That Christmas…we had to get creative and Mark and I made 90% or all our gifts to our kids; Ella a cool playhouse bed, Keegan and Grissom a huge train/car table, and a fun puppet show stage that has been played with SO much!  Tears don’t come to my eyes when I think back to these decorations, just satisfaction and a since of humility, accomplished humility because our Father God provided and still provides.  I intentionally keep coming back to this time in our lives I do it so I don’t forget.  So I remember just how hard it was but also because this passed we didn't stay there, we overcame even that.  We as humans like to get stuck in our new hard time and we so easily push away the old hard times because “they weren't as tough as this” but the reality is that life IS hard and it’s important for us to see what we've come through to encourage us and push us to know that we CAN come through what we are in the midst of!
                Back to my tree I grabbed my Red Bird with long beautiful curly tail feathers and the tears just start falling, I’m not screaming and crying my eyes are just leaking – a lot!  It takes me back to why I bought this one lonely ornament.  It is for my Nana she loved the classic bright red color.  Not really the Nana we had for 10 years, but for the Nana I remember who made the world turn!  As I placed that bird on the tree I could just feel just how much I missed her and her Christmas…her cookies, the pine wood fire in the fireplace, the warmth that came from her home, the smells of amazing home cooking holiday meals that seems more elaborate around Christmas, her big window that showed the huge colorful outdoor lights that Papaw hung on the front deck mostly covered with snow.  Her tree was pretty, not elaborate but just simply pretty.  Nana had a Hand-made feel to her Christmas.  I also miss going to their little old church for the mid-night Christmas Eve service…how cool was that to stay up and start church at mid-night…and to hold real lit candle!  That was a highlight!!
                 Mark hands me the next little bird, my newest one (I just added this year cause I haven’t been able to find just the right one)…this one is gold, it too has long tail feathers but they are straight and very shiny.  This one is for my Mamaw.  Oh, I wish you could have seen her house during the season.  Talked about deck the halls, and the family room…the kitchen…even the bedroom and bathrooms!  I’m not sure if there were any rooms untouched by her Christmas decorating!  And her village, oh what a sight to see…it wasn't a village; it was more like a small city!  Her house was elaborately beautiful!  I remember how breathtaking it was to walk in to see everything for the first time each season.  And the smell of her home, it was different from Nana’s but the smells were equally pleasurable!   They both had wonderful aroma’s that changed your mood to warm and happy every time.  I giggle now because Jimmy Fallon has a bit on his show all about giving away Christmas sweaters.  12 days before he goes on break for the holidays he gives away a Christmas sweater but not just any they are the craziest silliest ugliest sweaters.  They make dun of them and yes they are funny, but those silly sweaters bring back more memories of my Mamaw and Nana cause they wore them every Christmas.  I even have a few in my closet…We laughed at them as we decided who got what but no one was willing to give them away.  Here’s a secret; they still smell like my grandmas!
                These special bird ornaments go to the top of my tree and I’m sure as the years go by my tears will be more and more as I decorate my tree because I seem to add something special every few years.  I have Mamaw’s elaborate decorating desire and yet I love the homemade Christmas…they both have a special place in my heart!  My kids may roll their eyes at me as the tears flow freely from my eyes, but someday they too will have their own tree and they will decide how to decorate it.  My hope is that they will love their tree not because it’s a tree to make pretty but because it’s a symbol that celebrates the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ, but also that it’s representing the generations before them that also celebrated this same birth! 
                Now my tree and mantel, which is not as sentimental, are decorated and our 6 stocking are hung, yes I had tears hanging our stocking as well.  Only because this Christmas feels complete with four kids.  As I sit on my couch with all lights off but the tree and the fireplace I breathe a sign of relief.  It’s done…not just the decorating but more because the romancing is over at least the hard memories and now I can enjoy my season…I’m not sure if I will be able to do Christmas after mom and dad take off!
                 But for now I will sit and praise God for heaven…it IS real and I can’t wait to be there where there is no pain, hurt, or sorrow…and the ones I love will be there with me. 
                It hits me…Why?  I mean I know why we do Christmas but why do people who have more hurt then I do decide to decorate year after year seems kind of silly if you think about it.  We stuff ourselves with food only to wrap our homes in a big red bow and call it Christmas.  Why does it have to be SO elaborate?  Then my heart melts at the thought…we as humans go through life day in and day out some folks love theirs others wish it gone, but life still goes and goes to some it’s too fast to others it just drags on and on, but none the less it goes.  Christmas is many things to people first and foremost it IS to celebrate Jesus’ birth which leads us to celebrate Easter – we don’t celebrate in the same way the world does we celebrate because of Him and Him alone!  But meanings add to it, such as a time to reminisce and remember, a time to start over, a time to give or share, but I’m adding a reason this year.  As a stay at home mom and a homeschooling mom my life gets to feel pretty mundane at times.  I have to work hard to make it exciting or adventurous and many times I fail.  To me my life IS rich but I long for others to look in on me and see the richness I see…sometimes I long for someone to come whisk me away from it all so I can remember that it is rich!!  So for me, this Christmas I will focus on my ordinary becoming extraordinary.  That’s what we do isn't it? We take our normal and add spice…glitter…’fancy’ stuff to make our normal life “NOT so normal” for a time.  What a way to end every year…going out with such Extravagance maybe that’s why we start out the New Year so strong and ready to run!?! 
                So instead of sitting and focusing on the memories I’m choosing to focus on the Extraordinary that Christmas and Jesus bring to my life…and I will be thankful! 
Merry Extraordinary Christmas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment