Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Latino Store.

         We have tons of different ethnic grocery stores to shop at here.  So you can be picky on how much you spend because someone else always has it cheaper.  I’ve learned quickly right after we got married that just because it’s cheap doesn’t make it of good quality.  But Mark needed to learn this.  He wanted me to shop for our food in a Latino supermarket.  I have nothing against the letino market it had great prices, but a friend of mine told me to be careful to buy too much there at one time cause it goes bad pretty quick...and we are seeing this is true. 
I told him I’d go IF he went with (yes, I’m a baby that way…you ALL know that and I’m not going to hide behind that one) so…we went!  The produce was many and half of it I wasn’t sure what it was, but I bet it was good!  We came to the conclusion that everything was WAY over priced except the produce and the meat (a little scary, I know) so we got some. 
                        Mark got ALL excited about the watermelons…he brings this gigantic one over to me and says, “Look babe, they’ve got these cheap…99 cents for every 5 lbs!  I laughed and had him weight it in the produce scale…it was only 20 lbs!  I pretended it was a GREAT deal – I couldn’t tell him otherwise he was really thinking this was a huge savings!  How cute! 
              We then head over to the meat counter.  This is where things got REAL interesting!  I was pretty excited about the price of ground beef and pork…finally we found 80/20 for under $3.00 per lb.  So Mark and I were busy getting some of that when all of a sudden you hear BOTH Ella and Keegan, “Oh, SICK…Yuck!!  Oh, gross!!” etc...growing louder and louder as if feeding off each other in vloume!  Keegan runs over and yells, “Hey Mom and Dad, you gotta see this, Ella’s going to puke…cause it’s sick!”  Now this would have been just fine if I weren’t the person I am…but it wasn't...so naturally I melted with embarrassment.  Here we are “gringos” out of the normal customers and my kids are screaming about how sick they are to have what they had on sale. 
I told Mark, “get this meat and let’s get outta here!” and I quickly ran to see what they were yelling about! 
Now…before I continue I must tell you that I was also holding my breath as much as I could because this meat counter not only took up the entire length of the store (it was huge) but it stunk SO BAD!  I really felt the way the kids were screaming about…but I’d like to claim that I’m just old enough to be considerate and LIE about it! Ha! 
OK…so I’m headed to the kids…their point was made valid for lying in front of their eyes for the first time were things people really shouldn’t eat.  Not sure what to say to the kids I tried to make it seem normal and fun…yes, I said fun…even though I was about to beat Ella to the Puking Punch!
So I said, “Yea, Come here guys check this out…it’s not just chicken heads here…there’s a whole chicken with its head, aww…and look they laid his head in his wing so his nose wouldn’t get cold…”
Keeg smiles and says, “Mom…it’s a beak!” So we made a walk out of this.  Next we marveled at the chicken feet…the whole chicken’s without heads.  This to which Keegan says, “They must’a got in trouble when they gots killed!” “Yep…so I guess you’d better behave, huh!” I couldn’t resist adding.  We passed the pork…the pig feet/hooves, their snouts, their livers, their guts…which got an extra 'Ew' from Ella, especially after she told Keegan that Bear said it was ok to eat the guts but that didn’t make them yummy! Ha!  Onto the seafood which was easier on the eyes worse on the nose…
Luckily daddy had gotten our meat and we were outta there!  I’ve NEVER loved Wal-mart more than I did after that trip!  In the van I told Mark if he ever wanted meat from their again we’ll wait in the van! Ha!!

No comments:

Post a Comment