Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Part 1 of our weekend adventure...Goal:Monster Truck Tickets!

So this weekend was a little lower key…we are feeling more settled but it’s been way too cold to even attempt to try the beach, but warm enough to hunt for other fun!  So we had originally planned to head up north a little to place on the Santa Cruz Boardwalk, but when I checked it out on line I noticed a pretty penny will be lost by hanging here (they have rides, etc.) so we were brainstorming about what we should do (this was Thursday night) and all of a sudden before I could grab for the remote…we hear, “Monster Jam…coming to Salinas…Sunday is ½ price kids day…bla, bla, bla…”  I no longer had a vote for our weekend plans…now Friday’s plans involved getting tickets before they all sell out!!  I was so thrilled, yay…big loud trucks that go back and forth and smash cars…how much fun we are going to have here.  Now just because this doesn’t seem to float my boat doesn’t mean I wasn’t excited to go…I’d never been and I knew my kids would LOVE IT!  It’s in their blood.  We have been warned by more than 1 person not to go to Salinas, but we’ve also talked to others who have said go with Mark and during the day…so we went!
Salinas is only about 15 miles away, but it takes almost a ½ to drive to it.  We got there to the ticket office Keegan finally sees (all the trucks were parked out on the front lawn) and you hear him scream, “Oh, yeah, that’s what I’m talking about…mom, that’s MY MONSTER TRUCK!”  Then Ella puts 2 and 2 together and says, “We are going to this show, aren’t we guys?”  It was cute cause Grissom comes right in with his biggest growl ever! Ha!  While Mark and Grissom stood in line for tickets Ella, Keegan, and I went to check out these trucks…I’ll post the pictures.  But the kids were all super excited…and super upset that the show wasn’t right then and there!
So we headed to Subway…our family's FAV place to eat (we can get outta there healthy AND cheap!) Afterwards, we picked up our ear coverings at Harbor Freight, dropped off our recycling (we get charged the CA CRV tax on cans and such) and walked out $2.85 richer! YES!  Then we found that El Store…and we did it.  We had a little talk reminding the kids quickly that America is home to MANY different people and we want to be respectful of the Latinos. (a.k.a. let's not show off our spanish and stay as quiet as a mouse!)  So the plan was Mark would push the KID-mo-Cart while I got the food, hee…hee…hee!  This trip went much better and we were VERY impressed with the prices and the produce!  They had watermelon @ 99 cents for 8 lbs and we paid $2 for ours!!  We got TONS of produce – the kids LOVE frozen fruit!  We stayed FAR away from the meat counter so the only funny thing to report is Ella sitting in the main part of the cart singing at the top of her lungs…what was she singing? She made up a song (this is normal) about how she can count like the Latino people…then she counts to about 25 in Spanish…oh, yeah…what fun! 
                We’ve been having normal problems with Grissom.  2 year old problems.  I quickly remembered Dr. Lynda telling me when Keegan was this age that it was normal at this age for the kids not to want to eat.  Grissom’s always been my most picky child which is very frustrating anyway, and he’d been eating SO great before.
    He’s not been eating dinner and I’ve not been super concerned but after comparing the way I handled the other 2 verses him I found it was time for me to create a desire to eat in him!  SO with Mark’s help we got him to eat about 6 bites.  Mark would hold his head still while I held his hands and when he cried I shoved.  I know what you are thinking…what meanies we are…well, get a kid and get over it!  He only cried the first 2 times we did this, then when Mark held his head he'd open his mouth without struggle.  Plus, I didn’t shove huge bites in nor did I make him clear his plate, but I needed him to understand who was in charge and I wanted to make sure he had something in that tiny tummy of his!  It got super funny!  Mark stood up after about 4 bites to hold his head Grissom says, “No dad…I do it!!” And he throws his left hand on top of his head and held it himself…which in turned opened his mouth to take my bite without a fuss!!  YEAH!!  We ALL cheered for him.  He did that until his plate was empty!  Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment